Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Elvis - Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich



The ingredients on this are pretty easy: 

2 slices sandwich bread 
peanut butter
1 small banana
butter for grilling

Fire up a griddle or skillet with the butter, and while it's warming, slice up your banana and put that onto one piece of bread, and spread peanut butter over the other slice. Lay both pieces of bread, toppings facing upward, on the skillet, and let them cook till the peanut butter begins to melt. Close the sandwich and serve.

I thought this was an okay sandwich but it needed an extra something. I have heard of a variation, said to be the way Elvis's grandma made them, where honey and bacon are added. I also recall seeing an interview on TV in my childhood with Elvis's personal chef, and my recollection is that he said he added potato chips to the sandwiches (it was the first time I ever heard of this being done.) I kind of feel like these might be nicer if made on a cinnamon bread or something like that. We'll see if there will be more of these in the future....

EDIT: I have found that preparing these sandwiches on sourdough bread is a marked improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment