Search This Blog

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Spicy Breakfast Tostada for One

The salsa really makes this dish, let me warn. Be ready with plenty!

1 flour tortilla
1 egg
1/4 c milk
1/8 tsp salt
2-3 sausages, cooked
1 jalapeƱo pepper
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
salsa -- 1/3 c or more to taste
oil

Preheat oven to about 200 C or 350 F.

Use the oil to grease a small casserole dish or pie pan. Lay your tortilla in the dish to cover it like a pie crust. Scatter half of the cheese over the tortilla.

Chop up the sausage and the pepper, and place them into the tortilla dish over the cheese.

Beat together the egg, milk and salt, and pour into the tortilla dish. Top with the remaining cheese.

Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or till the eggs are firm. Top with salsa before serving.



A tip for making this extra tasty: I used the homemade tortillas... but I made them a little differently. 

Basically, I made a triple recipe of the single serve tortilla... but I only cut it in half, producing two tortillas. I found this made a thicker, larger tortilla that I preferred. 

So I used this tortilla for the Breakfast Tostada recipe, the cooking time for which I reduced to about 25 minutes (my tostadas had been coming out a little too dark at the edges with 30 minutes.) 

Results were a success, with thick, crispy tostada edges that could be broken off and eaten with forkfuls of the egg and salsa mixture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment