Freshly made cream of broccoli soup is much nicer than the packaged stuff from the store. Curry powder improves it even more. The French Bread is optional -- it makes the soup more filling and helps use up any leftover bread you might have.
1 tbs diced onion
1 tbs butter
2 tsp flour
1/4 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1 cup milk
dash Worcestershire sauce
pepper (to taste)
celery salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup cooked broccoli
1 cup cubed french bread pieces.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, add the onion, and let cook till onion softens.
- Add the flour, bouillon, pepper, celery salt and curry powder and mix well.
- Add the milk all at once, and the dash of Worcestershire sauce. Stir constantly till mixture begins to bubble, at which point allow it to cook, still stirring, for 1 minute longer so it can thicken,
- Have your cooked broccoli waiting in a food processor or blender, and add the soup. Close the lid and puree for as long as it takes to get the kind of texture you want. Alternately, you can add the broccoli to the pot and use a hand-blender to mix everything.
- Have your french bread ready in a bowl, and pour the hot soup over the top of it.